RN BN B Ac Cert Ac (China) GCCHM, MPH,
Life member AACMA
Clinic Director, Registered Acupuncturist & Chinese Herbalist, Nutritional Medicine, Muskulo-skeletal Therapist
Stephen is the Clinic Director of Kenmore Centre for Health in Brisbane. Stephen has been working in and studying health continuously for over 30 years. Before studying Chinese Medicine Stephen worked as a Registered Nurse where he gained a firm foundation in both the benefits and shortcomings of conventional medicine. Stephen has a Master of Public Health from the University of Queensland where he completed a research project investigating acupuncture education standards and dry needling. Stephen utilises the Traditional Chinese Medical model as the main model for understanding health and illness, and uses Acupuncture, Auricular Medicine, Muskulo-Skeletal Therapy, Chinese Herbal Medicine, Structural Balancing and Nutritional Medicine in his practice.
Stephen has studied in Australia, China and France, with his practice extending to both general medicine and musculo-skeletal problems. Stephen has presented papers at national and international conferences on both clinical & professional issues. His paper on the treatment of Plantar Fasciitis was awarded the ‘Best Paper for Clinical Practice’ at the 2004 World Federation of Acupuncture Societies (WFAS) conference, and he was jointly awarded best overall paper at the 2010 Australasian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Annual Conference (AACMAC) in Adelaide. Stephen was awarded best overall paper at the 2011 AACMAC conference in Perth for his paper on “Dry Needling: where has it come from and where is it going to: Issues & Risks”. Stephen was also awarded joint best overall paper at 2014 AACMAC conference in Melbourne for his workshop on “An Introduction to Trigger Point Acupuncture”. Stephen was a keynote speaker at the AACMAC conference 2015 in Adelaide where he was awarded best overall paper for his presentation on herbal medicine safety, was awarded best paper on Acupuncture at AACMAC 2016 in Perth, and awarded best paper on Chinese medicine professional issues at AACMAC Brisbane 2017.
Stephen is a former National President of the Australian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Association (AACMA). In addition to his clinical practice he also consults on educational, practice and ethical standards for Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. Stephen was an invited speaker for the 2013 World Federation of Acupuncture Societies (WFAS) conference and was a member of the WFAS 2013 scientific and academic committee. Stephen was the practitioner member for Queensland appointed to the inaugural Chinese Medicine Board of Australia from 2011 to June 1014, where he served as the chair of the Policy, Standards and Guidelines Advisory Committee.
Stephen was the project manager and co-author of The Acupuncture Evidence Project. The Acupuncture Evidence Project is the most comprehensive review of the evidence indicting the effectiveness of acupuncture available. The Preface of The Acupuncture Evidence Project written by Stephen Janz has been reproduced here.
Stephen established the Kenmore Acupuncture Clinic (now Kenmore Centre for Health) in 1987.
Articles and publications by Stephen:
- McDonald J, Janz S. The Acupuncture Evidence Project: A Comparative Literature Review (Revised edition). Brisbane: Australian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Association Ltd; 2017.
- Janz S. The Chinese Medicine Board of Australia’s Policy on Infection Prevention and Control in Acupuncture Practice (in WFAS Sydney 2013: Selected Conference Abstracts) Aust J Acupunct Chin Med 2013:8(2)31.
- Janz S & Adams J. Acupuncture by Another Name: Dry Needling in Australia. Aust J Acupunct Chin Med 2011:6(2)3-11
- Janz S & Adams J . Acupuncture Education Standards in Australia: A Critical Review. Aust J Acupunct Chin Med 2011:6(1):3-15.
- Janz S. Evidence Based Practice: What is it? Its relevance and consequences for Traditional Chinese Medicine and Complementary Medicine. Conference proceedings: 2nd International Congress on Chinese Medicine – Paris. 2005.
- Janz S. Greater trochanter bursitis and infrared laser therapy. A case series (abstract) – 7th WFAS World Acupuncture Congress European Parliament of Strasbourg, France. Nov 5-7 2009.
- Janz S. Plantar Fasciitis, Another Approach. Aust J Acupunct Chin Med 2010;5(2):30-36.
- Janz S. Book review of “Auricular Therapy” by Raphael Nogier Aust J Acupunct Chin Med 2010;5(1):45-46.
- Stephen treats Dr Andrew Rochfords Knee in this episode of “What’s Good for You”
- Australia Talks RN 27 July 2010: ABC Radio National discussion on the rise of Complementary & Alternative Medicine featuring Stephen Janz, Professor Alan Bensoussan and Professor John Dwyer.